Publication Date: May 2018
Our Q1 2018 State & Local Procurement Snapshot revealed a market in transition that has shifted into a different phase of the growth cycle. The current year-over-year change was down significantly from the robust 3-5% growth seen last year but was similar to the slight declines observed in 2016. Cyclical forces can partly explain this shift, but other factors are also at work. In a vast and fragmented $1.5 trillion market, a similar number of bids versus last year at this time is not necessarily a bad outcome following a great year, and certainly not every segment will be in slow mode.
The SLED market analysis team at GovWin+Onvia has highlighted four specific industry groups that are seeing year-over-year growth of at least 4%, as well as one of the major levels of government we track that continues to expand in bids. Our geographic analysis also identifies states with the highest growth rates in bid volume to provide a regional perspective.
In this quarter’s edition of the report, Michael Keating from American City and County returns to provide a timely and revealing portrait of how government officials and procurement managers are thinking about budgets and spending decisions for this year. His assessment of the key trends shaping purchasing draws from recent interviews with government officials and leading associations. He has written for American City & County, GPN, Government Procurement, USA Today and over 100 total publications and websites.
Readers of this quarter’s report will learn:
- Details about the current contracting environment and the factors driving recent trends
- Which industries and types of projects are experiencing the highest growth rates
- Contracting trends by type of agency that can help identify growth in market size and differences by type of buyer
- Differences in year-over-year bid & RFP growth rates by state
- Purchasing trends, outlook and perspective on the state, local and education government sub-markets
- How to better understand the pulse of this market to make informed planning and strategy decisions for your state and local business
This report draws from GovWin+Onvia’s government contracting data, including government bids and RFPs, awards and future spending plans from tens of thousands of state and local government agencies, as well as expert insight from our market analysis team.
Get the most comprehensive and timely state, local and education market intelligence available by downloading this free report today.