Understanding Agency Challenges & Insights for Contractors
Onvia’s 2nd annual survey of government procurement professionals helps provide greater clarity and perspective around key changes and shifts taking place in public purchasing today. The results reveal implications and insights for both buyers and suppliers in the business-to-government (B2G) marketplace.
The survey reports on important trends and issues in government procurement that affect what gets purchased and how decisions are made, as well as the efficiency and effectiveness of that process.
New this year is the Procurement Performance Index (PPI), a custom indicator that tracks how well agencies are doing in three major areas such as turnaround/ response times for bids. We also document how agencies that score highly attract greater participation interest among contractors.
Our analysis considered the interactions of business and government agencies in the procurement process and incorporated perspectives from Onvia’s recent Survey of Government Contractor Sales Expectations 2017-18.
Readers of this report will learn:
- The greatest challenges facing buyers and procurement teams today and the implications both for agencies and vendor strategy
- How many procurement professionals are overworked and how much this affects the buying process and experience for bidders
- How a lack of time available for pre-bid research and planning has implications for vendors to partner with agencies
- The outlook for growth in spending and bid volumes
- How improvements in procurement performance can help differentiate an agency and attract more bidders
- The importance of efficient buying methods like cooperative purchasing
- How automation and e-Procurement are helping agencies with workloads and efficiency
- Best practices to help agencies meet their goals, including insights for businesses to help them better understand their customer and win more contract awards
A representative sample of 668 procurement staff from state agencies, cities, counties, special districts, and school districts nationwide participated in the survey.
Since 2000, Onvia has specialized in providing the data analysis and insights that government agencies and businesses in all industries need to succeed. Become a leader in B2G and download the report today.